Dating style toowoomba
Toowoomba is the second most populous inland city in the country after the national capital of Canberra.
Thirteen years later when George and Patrick Leslie established Toolburra Station 56 miles (90 km) south-west of Toowoomba the first settlers arrived on the Downs and established a township of bark-slab shops called The Springs which was soon renamed Drayton.
Land selling at £4 per acre (£10 per hectare) in 1850 was by then £150 per acre (£370 per hectare).
Governor Bowen granted the wish of locals and a new municipality was proclaimed on 24 November 1860.
In 1892, the Under Secretary of Public Land proclaimed Toowoomba and the surrounding areas as a township and in 1904 Toowoomba was declared a city.
Pastoralism replaced agriculture and dairying by the 1900s.